Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Sorrow transformed into joy

Venerable John Climacus ~ The Ladder of Divine Ascent
Step 4 ~ On Obedience

¶43. When we are stung by rebukes, let us remember our sins until the Lord, seeing the force of our efforts (the efforts of those who do violence to themselves for His sake), wipes out our sins and transforms the sorrow that is gnawing at our heart into joy. For it is said: According to the multitude of the sorrows in my heart, Thy consolations brought gladness into my soul. At the right time, let us not forget him who said to the Lord: How great are the many and evil afflictions which Thou hast showed unto me; yet, having returned, Thou madest me to live, and out of the depths of the earth, after I had fallen, Thou broughtest me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin